Friday, July 29, 2011

Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Title: Life as We Knew It
Author: Susan Beth Pfeffer
Series: Last Survivors #1
Publisher: Harcourt Children’s Books
Year: 2006
Read in: Danish
Where’d I get this copy: Library
 
Life As We Knew It on Goodreads.


Teaser (from Goodreads):

Miranda’s disbelief turns to fear in a split second when a meteor knocks the moon closer to the earth. How should her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis wipe out the coasts, earthquakes rock the continents, and volcanic ash blocks out the sun? As summer turns to Arctic winter, Miranda, her two brothers, and their mother retreat to the unexpected safe haven of their sunroom, where they subsist on stockpiled food and limited water in the warmth of a wood-burning stove.
    
Told in journal entries, this is the heart-pounding story of Miranda’s struggle to hold on to the most important resource of all--hope--in an increasingly desperate and unfamiliar world.

Thoughts:
Are you familiar with those books that you can just ramble on about for days? Well, Life as We Knew It wasn’t one of those books. It was more like the “Read it. Love it. Don’t question it” ones. Because that’s what I did. I loved this book. Not to pieces and definitely not enough to read it again anytime soon, but I think it was very well written with some great characters.
Miranda and her family were very authentic with their fights and quarrels and I was able to relate to her very easily.
I must say the writing at some points became just like reading Meg Cabot’s The Princess Diaries, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

And also: the further sucked into the story I got, the worse I felt about myself and all the luxuries I am surrounded by (clean water, electricity, hospitals etc.).

But really, I just have to read book no. 2, The Dead and the Gone. And you wanna know why I haven’t done that yet? Well, no library or bookshop anywhere near me seems to have it, but oh well I’ll just buy it from Amazo—NOPE. Just spend 110$ on Emilie Autumn’s The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls. So there.

I loved it, but it wasn't perfect. 7½/10.

Frederikke, out.

1 comment:

  1. I think it was twenty, but I don't really know. All I care for is that we both got a copy. It's so cool. Have you read the book yet?
    Yes, but 'too' I mean I got one was well.

    www.breakingfree.dk/annenikoline

    ReplyDelete