Friday, August 19, 2011

Bored of the Rings by Henry N. Beard



Title: Bored of the Rings: A Parody of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
Author: Henry N. Beard, Douglas C. Kenney
Series: Cardboard Box of the Rings #3, Lampoon Parodies
Publisher: Roc Trade
Year: 1993
Read in: English
Where'd I get this copy: Library
Bored of the Rings: A Parody of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings on Goodreads.

Teaser (from Goodreads):

For everyone who has delighted in J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy masterwork-or anyone who's just looking for a good laugh-this is the million-copy selling comic extravaganza that will convince lovers (and haters) of fantasy that they've finally experienced it all, and that they'll never need to read another fantasy parody again.

Thoughts:

I was prepared for lots of shitty humour in this book; however I was not prepared for all the shitty without humour. 
Obviously this was written for a much older audience.
It surely made me laugh out loud at times when it got outrageously silly, but mostly it was just plain WTF-ness. 

This was certainly one of the better parts, especially those last four lines. 
Oh God almighty they were the best thing about the whole book!

Probably should've read this one in Danish, seeing that the authors thought it funny to use and aggravate Tolkien's voluminous language making me have to choose: Dictionary or skip/guess. Chose the latter. There were so many words I didn't actually understand, but I believe it is okay since most of them were either adjectives, unrelated to the story or just exaggerated.

I must confess that this is the kind of book that takes my passion away. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. It had it's moments - it really did, but mostly I had to tell myself "You have to read at least one chapter today, Frederikke!"
And it wasn't even that boring... Okay, well, it must've been. I guess most of the problem just lies within me reading this in English (see above).

And the way they portrayed the characters? I mean, I know this is supposed to be a funny parody, but the only thing I felt (with each and every person, except for maybe Eorache) was, sadly, annoyance.
I'm sure some hardcore Tolkien fan who is a native English speaker will devour this in one sitting while laughing their ass off, but that description doesn't fit me.

It felt kinda like reading the script for Epic Movie probably would. A disappointment.

I, unfortunately, was bored with Bored of The Rings. 3/10

Frederikke, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment