Friday, August 5, 2011

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Title: The Giver
Author: Lois Lowry

Series: The Giver #1
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers 
Year: 1993
Read in: Danish
Where’d I get this copy: Library 
The Giver on Goodreads.

Teaser (from Goodreads):

Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.


Thoughts:
(Now, what I do isn't really 'reviewing' it's more of a 'what did I like/what didn't work out that well'. Just so you know.)
Anyway: While reading one thing crossed my mind several times: this book is translated, unfortunately, as if it were a children’s book. There are some pretty heavy subjects being tossed around in there, which makes it non-limited by age. It’s a wonderful read that I will gladly recommend to any dystopian-lover.
When I reached chapter 7 or something, I was struck by the thought of our own governments being corrupt, in total control and lying to us. Then I realised that they've always been like that, and I relaxed.
Also every little description of the society made me bite my tongue in frustration. It's so wrong. 
But really, The Giver made me question whether the world we're living in is an illusion, and I've come to the conclusion that if it is, then I am thoroughly satisfied with it and will no doubt be reading he second book.


A wonderful original story of discovery and oppression even though the translation pulls down a bit. 6/10

Frederikke, out.

1 comment:

  1. I've had The Giver in my TBR pile for awhile. I just might have to bump it up!

    Steph
    Steph's Stacks

    ReplyDelete