Monday, August 15, 2011

The Magical Worlds of Lord of the Rings by David Colbert

WELCOME, fellow hobbits, to Tolkien Week on Petaldew Reads (not really, just posting two Tolkien-related reviews this week)!




Title: The Magical Worlds of Lord of the Rings: The Amazing Myths, Legends and Facts Behind the Masterpiece (deeeeep breath)
Author: David Colbert
Series: Not really a series, but mr. Colbert's written the same kind of book on C. S. Lewis, J. K. Rowling and Philip Pullman (Books by David Colbert)
Publisher: Berkley Trade
Year: 2002
Read in: Danish
Where'd I get this copy: Library
The Magical Worlds of Lord of the Rings: The Amazing Myths, Legends and Facts Behind the Masterpiece on Goodreads.

Teaser (from Goodreads):

The author who revealed the myths behind J.K. Rowling's creatures now tackles literature's most beloved epic fantasy, by bringing to light the legends that influenced J.R.R. Tolkien-and answering pertinent questions ranging from "Why do Hobbits live in holes?" to "When in the world is Middle-earth?"


Thoughts:

Having read the Harry Potter-one, I had something which I could compare this one to.

At first I'd like to say, that this was way better supported by facts and trustworthy sources than The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts which was more or less built on guesses. In this book I found almost no maybe's but a lot of well-reasoned explanations. Fantastic.

I picked up a lot of foreign words during this read, and as you might know I *love* these kinds of things. Learning about how Tolkien created new languages and could understand and speak Gaelic, Old Norse, Old English, Danish (!), Finnish, -list goes on- was pure enjoyment.

I actually had no idea that Tolkien was as fond of Finnish as I am, and that he created Quenya from it! Languages in general, but Finnish has been on my to-learn list in, well, two years now. For no particular reason, I should probably add. Or yes, maybe it was because of this song:



When reading about Tolkien (this is far from the first time I've done so) it feels like stepping into a cathedral. Everything is so pure and sacred and you're just a servant of this mighty god.
Tolkien literally created worlds, and now it is our job as disciples to spread the word and let the world know of his magnificence.


Upon reading about Edith Mary Tolkien's (his wife) death I felt just a brokenhearted as any tragic love story might make me feel. How Tolkien identifies him self as Beren and his wife as LĂșthien is such a beautiful thought.

A quick informative read, that doesn't go too much into detail but covers the subject beautifully and makes you want to dig deeper.

9/10

Frederikke, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment