Friday, September 23, 2011

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer


Title: Nightshade
Author: Andrea Cremer
Series: Nightshade #1
Publisher: Philomel
Year: 2010
Read in: Danish
Where'd I get this copy: Library
Nightshade on Goodreads.

Teaser (from Goodreads):

Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything - including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?


Thoughts:

I just want to say this book was kinda obvious and that I didn't have much trouble figuring anything out. That being said, it was very entertaining. I never got involved with the characters, though, like I got in, for example, Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers-trilogy.

Nightshade did nothing to change my mind on werewolves. Or... Guardians or whatever they call themselves. The only werewolf I've liked (LOVED) so far in literature is Derek Souza of the aforementioned Darkest Powers-trilogy.

I know I should stop rambling about the Darkest Powers and get on with this one. But I just can't. Nightshade made me want to re-discover the Darkest Powers-universe. And Derek. So I'll probably be re-reading those soon.

I'm so happy that Shay's transformation to wolf was quick and uncomplicated UNLIKE SOMEONE ELSE'S TRANSFORMATION TO VAMPIRE, BELLA. Cough. Four books vs. one page. Jeez.
But when Shay was turned and he had his first run with Calla -- that was just magical. I'd put Night of the Hunter by 30 Seconds to Mars on full volume and I just threw myself on my bed and read with intense delight and a big smile on my face. It was like "here, now you're finally able to use your full potential" and it was free and magical and amazing. That almost made me like werewolves.

And cliffhanger-ending? Come on. Very displeased. Very.

A good read. Definitely better than I originally thought it would be. 7/10.



Frederikke, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment