Friday, September 2, 2011

The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong

Title: The Reckoning
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Series: Darkest Powers #3
Publisher: Orbit
Year: 2010
Read in: English
Where'd I get this copy: Borrowed from a friend

The Reckoning on Goodreads.

Teaser (from Goodreads):

My name is Chloe Saunders. I'm fifteen, and I would love to be normal.

But normal is one thing I'm not.

For one thing, I'm having these feelings for a certain antisocial werewolf and his sweet-tempered brother—who just happens to be a sorcerer—but, between you and me, I'm leaning toward the werewolf.

Not normal.

My friends and I are also on the run from an evil corporation that wants to get rid of us—permanently.

Definitely not normal.

And finally, I'm a genetically altered necromancer who can raise the dead, rotting corpses and all, without even trying.

As far away from normal as it gets.


Thoughts:

CONTAINS UNAVOIDABLE SPOILERS FOR BOOK ONE AND TWO.

I read 90% of this book in one day, with clammy hands and a very unsteady heart. Way past midnight I realised I had to get up for school in the morning and I almost began slamming my head into the wall in frustration, when I saw that I only had around fifty pages left.

But okay. Fair enough. Then I'd have something to look forward to, so I settled on my bed, ready to sleep, and... Nothing. My heart just kept beating frantically and I couldn't stop wondering "What about Derek?!?" I was so frikin' concerned! When they were at the safe house at the very beginning of the book, and Chloe kept seeing all the ghosts (specially that murdered boy, Austin) I was like "Go to the boys room and crawl right into Derek's bed, sweetie. NOW," Just like Peeta and Katniss, if you know what I mean. I kinda wanna re-read book one RIGHT NOW just to, you know, get the story all from the beginning and see Derek and Chloe's relationship unfold!
I really like how Kelley managed to create a very believable "hero" in Derek. You know, a lot of paranormal guys in fiction these days are fully in control of their temperament and powers, they dress nicely and they have perfect hygiene. Derek has almost none of this, and that's what makes me love him. He's so real.

And did you notice? I was right in my predictions! The ending of book two WAS too good to be true.
I'm glad I took the advice on only giving the Awakening a 9/10 rating, because this one was even better and deserves a proud 10/10. But I must confess that there was some things in book two I liked better than book three, though.
Whenever something bad happened (the whole book) I was just like "STFU, Chloe, and wait for Derek. He'll make everything allright." That was actually my attitude all the way through.This is what every reading experience should be like. A book you're almost unable to put down, a heartbreakingly great couple and an ending that makes you want more.
I would do anything for this trilogy to be made into a movie. *hopes eagerly*


On another note, do you know what this was? It was a hollow-book. A hollow-book, you ask, what's that? Well in short it's one of those books that leaves a gaping hole in you, therefore making you feel hollow and empty. We all have those. And only the very very best books can do that. And I am no way finished with Derek & Chloe. I NEED more. I'm not sure I can function normally without it. So. Because it didn't end properly I had problems saying goodbye to Derek and Chloe (Simon and Tori as well, though not as much) and now I'm PRAYING that they eventually will be in Darkness Rising.


A perfect perfect read. 10/10!

Frederikke, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment