Friday, September 9, 2011

Secret Lives by Gabriella Poole




Title: Secret Lives
Author: Gabriella Poole
Series: Darke Academy #1
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Year: 2009
Read in: Danish
Where'd I get this copy: Library
Secret Lives on Goodreads.


Teaser (from Goodreads):

The Darke Academy is a school like no other. An elite establishment that moves to an exotic new city every term, its students are impossibly beautiful, sophisticated and rich. And the more new scholarship girl Cassie Bell learns about the Academy, the more curious she becomes. What sinister secrets are guarded by the Few -- the select group of students who keep outsiders away? Who is the dark stranger prowling the corridors at night? And what really happened a year earlier, when the last scholarship girl died in mysterious circumstances? One thing Cassie will discover is that a little knowledge may be a dangerous thing, but knowing too much can be deadly...


Thoughts:

Unfortunately Secret Lives was rather flat. I didn't really expect anything AH-MAY-ZING from it, since I'd only heard OK-reviews, but it still disappointed just a bit.

The whole idea of moving the academy from place to place every semester was actually really fascinating. And awesome. And yikes do I wanna go to Paris again!

I thought it was too hurried.
I mean, you open the book and Cassandra arrives at the Academy. You go fifty pages in, and it's been two weeks! And on the first day of school she sees Ranjit. In the middle of the book he's confessing his love for her and such. (Or did I misinterpret that? This book thoroughly confused me. :/)
How? Why?

It felt like Gabriella began writing some things into the story, just to later regret it and then not removing them again. Incomplete.

Halfway through the book and I admitted to having trouble telling Richard and Jake apart.
And the characters. Oh man. Katerina is the Ice Queen, yeah I get it; I read Narnia as well. Ranjit Singh is the "hot guy" (and he probably is), but I wouldn't know because, let's face it, he's nothing. I don't even know why Cassie falls for him. He had some moments there but they never really evolved into anything deeper. He was so 2D!
And.. Yeah.

Overall not impressed, but it sure had it's merits and I WILL be reading no. 2 to see if it gets any better. Just not any time soon.


5/10, leaning towards 4/10.


(Oh and by the way, I've been watching a lot of Supernatural this last week and I'm only a couple of episodes from obsessing... This means I haven't read that much... Just thought I'd let you know.) ;D



Frederikke, out.

1 comment:

  1. Cool, I may put it farther up on my to-be-read-next list then. :-)

    ReplyDelete