Monday, October 3, 2011

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby


Title: A Long Way Down
Author: Nick Hornby
Series: Stand alone
Publisher: Riverhead Books
Year: 2005
Read in: English
Where'd I get this copy: Friend
A Long Way Down on Goodreads.



Teaser (from Goodreads):


New Year's Eve at Toppers' House, North London's most popular suicide spot. And four strangers are about to discover that doing away with yourself isn't quite the private act they'd each expected.

Perma-tanned Martin Sharp's a disgraced breakfast TV presenter who had it all - the kids, the wife, the pad, the great career - and wasted it away. Killing himself is Martin's logical and appropriate response to an unliveable life. Maureen has to do it tonight, because of Matty being in the home. He was never able to do any of the normal things kids do - like walk or talk - and loving-mum Maureen can't cope any more. Dutiful Catholic that she is, she's ready to commit the "biggest sin of all".

Half-crazed with heartbreak, loneliness, adolescent angst, seven Bacardi Breezers and two Special Brews, Jess's ready to jump, to fly off the roof. Finally, there's JJ - tall, cool, American, looks like a rock-star, sometimes thinks he plays his guitar like one - who's weighted down with a heap of problems, and pizza.

Four strangers, who moments before were convinced that they were alone and going to end it all that way, share out the pizza and begin to talk ... Only to find that they have even less in common than first suspected. Nick Hornby's A Long Way Down is a novel that asks some of the big questions: about life and death, strangers and friendship, love and pain, and whether a group of losers, and pizza, can really see you through a long, dark night of the soul.



Thoughts:

Oi! That was one long-ass teaser. Anyway, I'm sorry I missed last Friday, you guys, but my internet screwed up. Also, I have had a very busy week, so please excuse me. ;)
On to the book,

  • It had the most hilarious points where I couldn't read due to laughing so much I began to cry. Those points got even funnier when I returned back to them later on. Oh my.

  • I found it very easy to read compared to what I'm used to. You know, when you swell in paranormal and supernatural stories each and every day (no, I wasn't going to talk about some deeply philosophical stuff), you gotta reset to normal. And because I didn't have to focus on rules and norms of some werewolf pack, it became a very light novel.

  • And I'm sorry, cause I know Maureen's fifty-one in A Long Way Down, but every time I read "Maureen" I thought Maureen Johnson. Which was totally fine by me, just FYI, but I think I'm way off.

  • A Long Way Down avoided clichés very beautifully. Nick Hornby made his (very freaking AWESOME) characters mention them, and then went "BUT THIS STORY IS NOTHING LIKE THAT". Very cool.

  • I am so not used to this genre of fiction, so I don't believe I have anything relevant to say, really.

I can't really agree with myself on the rating of this one. Um... It wasn't bad, you know? It was actually pretty witty. So definitely above a 5. But then again, the part of my mind I used to read this isn't done thinking yet, so I'm not sure exactly how good it was. Is 7/10 too low? Is 8/10 too high? I don't know, honestly. But it's approx. 7 or 8... Yeah. :)

And I've heard some rumours that Johnny Depp has bought the film rights for this one before it even came out! .... This excites me way too much.

Now off to watch Dr. Who~~ Or Supernatural? Hmm, decisions, decisions...


Frederikke, out.

1 comment:

  1. Er spændt på at høre, hvad du synes om Matched, jeg har selv læst den færdig i dag... ;b

    ReplyDelete