Monday, February 27, 2012

Nevermore by Keith R.A. DeCandido



Title: Nevermore
Author: Keith R.A. DeCandido
Series: Supernatural #1
Publisher: Titan Books
Year: 2008
Read in: English
Where'd I get this copy: Bought it on Amazon in November 
Nevermore on Goodreads.


Teaser (from Goodreads):

Twenty-two years ago, Sam and Dean Winchester lost their mother to a mysterious and demonic supernatural force. In the years after, their father, John, taught them about the paranormal evil that lives in the dark corners and on the back roads of America...and he taught them how to kill it. Sam and Dean have hit New York City to check out a local rocker's haunted house. But before they can figure out why a lovesick banshee in an '80s heavy-metal T-shirt is wailing in the bedroom, a far more macabre crime catches their attention. Not far from the house, two university students were beaten to death by a strange assailant. A murder that's bizarre even by New York City standards, it's the latest in a line of killings that the brothers soon suspect are based on the creepy stories of legendary writer Edgar Allan Poe. Their investigation leads them to the center of one of Poe's horror classics, face-to-face with their most terrifying foe yet. And if Sam and Dean don't rewrite the ending of this chilling tale, a grisly serial killer will end their lives forevermore.

Thoughts:

WARNING: big fan of the show. If you haven't heard of Supernatural, please skip this review. It's far from the best way to get into the show.


Things I liked about Nevermore:
I bought it because I love Supernatural. I didn't even bother to find out what it was about. So when I got it and read on the back that it would contain "heavy metal and Edgar Allan Poe" I got very excited.

It comes with an awesome soundtrack afshdkfks APPROVE.


I cracked up a couple of times. Oh man, hilarious.


But, now, let me be honest with you: I've read fanfiction with more emotional depth than this book has. Much more, in fact. It was a book concerning the supernatural. The banshee and the rite. I just missed some feelings, preferably of the brotherly kind. Not necessarily all those Impala-manly-angst-moments we have in the TV series, I just needed proof that the Winchesters exist outside of the show, if you know what I mean. You probably don't. It's just like Keith didn't capture the soul and spirit of Supernatural. 

So, if I'm to compare it to the show: It was very season one-like, obviously, as it was very introducing. It was like a good filler, but that's just it. Nevermore didn't go beyond filler. There was so much to be explored, but that's where it stayed. I was kind of saddened by this. But as the book series continue they follow the tv series. And things get more complicated between the brothers the further we get. So I'm very optimistic that all we need for this series to work is time and a better writer.
Yeah, it was nowhere as good as the show, but I guess no books based on movies/shows are? It's almost always the other way around. Unless we're talking Star Wars. Hahah. Ha.

Also. That cover. Uuuuh, yeah no. You're both very pretty, boys, but don't do this to me. I'm not reading one of those e-books from the romance section.


But it was good. Average, but good. 5/10. It wouldn't surprise me of the rest of the books until Cas enters are like this one, so I'll just... Wait here then. No, just kidding, I'm going to read the rest. But I still wish they had been the actual Supernatural books by Carver Edlund.


Frederikke, out.

(Also, I put this review in the Dystopia/Apocalyptic category because, I mean, if you know anything at all about Supernatural, you know where this is heading...)

1 comment:

  1. Suuupernaturaaaal! ♥ Er igang med sæson 5 nu. Bedste investering ever - gav min kæreste første sæson i julegave og nu er vi så begge hooked. Har du set X-files?

    ReplyDelete