Monday, March 26, 2012

Déjà Dead by Kathy Reichs




Title: Déjà Dead
Author: Kathy Reichs
Series: Temperance Brennan #1
Publisher: Scribner
Year: 1997
Read in: Danish
Where'd I get this copy: Library 
Déjà Dead on Goodreads.


Teaser (from Goodreads):


Forensic anthropologist Dr. Temperance Brennan has finally planned a weekend off to explore Montreal. But when an unidentified female corpse is discovered meticulously dismembered and stashed in garbage bags, her weekend plans--and her life--are turned upside down.



Thoughts:


I once again made the mistake of reading reviews before I wrote down my own opinion. Oops. I am so easily influenced, it's not even funny.


It felt good to read something written for a more mature audience, for once. Sometimes I really get enough of all those YA novels.


There's some pretty detailed scientific descriptions in this book. I recall one that that spanned about five pages, if I'm not mistaken. You know what it was about? Saws. I hear a lot of people complaining about this. "Oh my God, it's so boring,". But this was actually one of the reasons I picked the book up in the first place! And the less I thought about how extremely useless this information was, the more I learnt.


Anyway, reasons I picked it up: Bones. The TV series. Of course -- how else would I've heard of it? I never read crimes/thrillers/mysteries. They're all the same; they're all dull.




I think it's kind of wrong to compare the books to the TV series. When it says 'loosely based on', let me just tell you, there's a reason it says 'loosely'. They adjusted the only character they kept -- Temperance Brennan -- a little too much in my opinion. She's not the same person in Déjà Dead as she is in Bones. She doesn't even seem to have the same skills. She's much more superhero-ish in Bones. So if you discover the books through the show, forget the clever jokes and romantic tension. The only romance in the books would be between Temperance and Andrew Ryan, and let's face it: he isn't Booth.


Side note: Kathy Reichs' use of French was a little exaggerated and unnecessary considering that the majority of Planet Earth's population still doesn't speak it.




I'm not sure I would recommend these books to fans of the TV series. It's not nearly as fun. Still good though, and the actual murder mystery this book is about was very disturbing and nerve-wrecking indeed. 7/10.


Frederikke, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment