Monday, April 16, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green





Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Publisher: Dutton Books
Year: 2012
Read in: English
Where'd I get this copy: Pre-order
The Fault in Our Stars on Goodreads.


Teaser (from Goodreads):

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.




Thoughts:


I cried halfway in. I cried when there was only one chapter left. I didn't even want to finish the book at that point. I read one more page and had to put the book down again. It felt like I needed a sequel, as though I couldn't give up on TFIOS already, but a sequel would ruin everything and not even be possible and then, and then....
Then I turned the last page. I basically sobbed my way through the book in its entirety. I can't even remember what I read. It was so tragic, their relationship was doomed even before it began for christ's sAKE!!! But sadness aside, what really captured me in this book, and I mean really, really captured me, was John's prose and the voices and personalities he gave Hazel and Augustus. So what if that's the most unauthentic thing about the whole book, do I look like I give a fuck
What makes people compare Hazel and Augustus to Romeo and Juliet is their love story, but what makes Hazel and Augustus our time's Romeo and Juliet is this fragile beauty called life they've written their love story in. 
And that's just.... I mean, I could probably ramble on about this book all the way to infinity and beyond but I don't want to, OK, because feels, man. 10/10 definitely. Can I marry the book now? Or at least re-read it?


Quote from TFIOS, typographed by Amber 
Everyone on this planet will want to read this book if only because it's the best thing John Green's ever written (I haven't read anything else aside from Looking for Alaska and I didn't like it so maybe I'm not the one you should take advice from, but hey)

and

the 
language
ugh it's so beautiful I felt like puking rainbows whenever Hazel, Augustus or Peter opened their mouths. 


Frederikke, out.
(Oh, and my copy was has a green J-squiggle.)

No comments:

Post a Comment